Friday, August 21, 2009

The Microsoft Spa – Ah

The Microsoft Spa – Ah

I have been teaching Microsoft Office for the last seventeen years. I am even Microsoft Office Certified which means I took a test as to my competency and I passed it with flying colors. So when I first noticed the word Microsoft my head turned. Maybe I could get some information about the new version of Microsoft Office which I haven’t learned but I know I must teach soon. Then I noticed the word SPA. Who doesn’t love a spa? What do the two have in common I wanted to know.

Turns out that Microsoft had decided to pamper the bloggers of Blogher with professional makeovers, back rubs, and manicures. After a wonderful experience at the Suave counter I visited the Spa for a makeover.

I no sooner sat in the chair when a photographer came up. She took my name and my card and told me she was taking photos for some paper that included London in it’s name. I swear I couldn’t hear her even though I asked her twice. She took a series of photos as the makeup artist worked her magic.

While I sat in the chair, I had the overwhelming urge to say “I’m ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille.” Sadly I knew that my remark would fall flat as they have probably never watched the movie Sunset Boulevard. It was appropriate though. While I was never a movie star, in society I was hitting the age where many would consider me to be a has been. The bloom was not only off the rose and the bloom itself was just a memory.

When do we stop looking in the rearview mirror at the mistakes and missteps that we have made? Do people who say that they lived their life with no regrets truly have nothing they would have done differently? When I sing “My Way” with Frank Sinatra on the car radio am I really telling the truth? Isn’t it true that our way is often decided upon by factors like serendipity? Can’t I still wish I’d had a pony?

After I had my makeover I stopped over to talk to the lady who was in charge who wanted to know what I thought of my experience. I told her how much I enjoyed it and bragged about my certifications. I told her how much I enjoyed my time at the spa and what my opinions were about the new Windows Live. I like it except for the fact you can’t upload more than one photo at a time. Other than that I LOVE Photo Gallery and Movie Maker to edit and organize your photos and movies, and then post them online. You can blog, manage your calendar and I can see what's new with my friends all in one place. That's because you can add your favorite sites, like Facebook, Yelp, or Twitter to Windows Live, and your friends will get your updates in their “What’s New” feed. That means you don’t have to e-mail or IM all your friends to let them know what you’re up to.

What I love is that I have access to all the files I've uploaded no matter where I am AND my friends and family, and even co-workers can have access to the files I want to share with them and they



When we were finished she handed me one of my very favorite gifts of the weekend, a Microsoft Office Small Business version. I could have hugged her. It’s just what I needed for my laptop which I use for my school work.

I looked at my schedule to see what I missed. For a woman who only missed four classes during my whole college career I was feeling a bit embarrassed for having missed so many of the break-out sessions. Still I felt I was accomplishing some of what I hoped to accomplish. I was meeting people in the PR field and trying to get my name out there. I was also stretching my wings and trying new things. Now off to lunch I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment